REALab is a field-leading model of doctoral training and knowledge exchange that brings early career researchers and business partners together to co-design solutions able to tackle business and societal challenges.
Benefits for Researchers
Within an interdisciplinary team-work environment, the programme is a great opportunity for early career researchers to:
- Receive comprehensive training and coaching for each stage of the process, from project development to completion and dissemination of results.
- Work remotely as part of a multisector project team and master the contemporary art of cloud-based collaborative working.
- Manage a project throughout its full lifecycle, from initiation to delivery and evaluation, with the support of state-of-the-art tools and techniques.
- Build your profile as “Research Associate Consultant” and complete a 70-hour paid consultancy project to make a difference beyond academia.
- Work on the programme training and project on a part -time basis, alongside your PhD.
- Get expert communication support to disseminate your project’s findings.
The programme develops in two main stages, starting with a series of training workshops in the Project Development stage, followed by a dragons-den style Pitch session which introduces project teams to the Project Delivery stage, where teams are supported with coaching until project completion.
Co-design workshop with partners
Apply the training on consultancy and stakeholder engagement to consult with your partner and shape the project in the right direction.
Pitch your project plan
Pitch your preliminary research and project plans to the partner and gain approval to move your project to the delivery stage.
Project delivery stage
Deliver your project with coaching support until project completion. You will work as part of a team (Business Challenges) or independently (Researcher-Led REALab), following a structured project management process, with the help of the latest cloud-based tech to stay on top of your workflows and deadlines. You will be provided with tested templates to format your final research package in the most professional way.
Disseminate your findings
On project completion, we support you to effectively communicate the results of your project to help you deliver your project’s aims and demonstrate the success of your work. See previously completed projects (here).
Andreina Carrillo Espinoza
Global Development Institute, University Of Manchester (Collaboration Labs 2020)
School Of Arts, University Of Liverpool (Collaboration Labs 2020)
The University of Manchester, School of Arts, Languages and Cultures (Collaboration Labs 2020)
Royal Northern College of Music (Collaboration Labs 2020)